Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I Can Handle It!

Or maybe I'm just fooling myself! I feel stronger and have caught up on my sleep so guess what I did? I enrolled at Heritage University! I am an official graduate student! In a little less than 2 years I will have my Masters Degree in ESL/ELL! Yep, I've officially gone crazy!



Actually, my last couple of days have been a bit bizarre. If someone had told me a week ago that I would be sitting in a History and Theories of Bilingual Education course I would have told them they had the wrong person! Monday morning I went to an informational meeting for a program being offered in Bridgeport. At this meeting, the facilitator happened to mention something about the first class starting that afternoon. Hmmmm....surely not for the program I was looking at, right? I have until September 18th to decide, right? Wrong! I have now started and finished my first Masters class! Woo hoo!



Believe me, I wasn't cheering last night at about midnight as I was sitting at this very computer, doing homework I hadn't scheduled into my week before school starts schedule! But, I signed on the dotted line and so now I'm committed! I may be committed in a different way soon. I'll let you know!



Despite my fatigue (already) and the fact that I never considered a degree in English as a Second Language, I have enjoyed this week's class. The instructor condensed it into 3 days because everyone in the program works for a school district and she wanted this class out of the way. We have sat and listened to lectures for many hours but I'm finding the information very interesting. Let's hope the rest of the classes keep my interest!



I'm kind of lying when I say that I have finished the class because I still have homework due on September 1st, but the class part is done. Yay!



The kids have had a ball with their friends since they returned home on Sunday. We've had lots of little rugrats running around here and both Dylan and Lyndsi have been to other people's houses, also. And, can you believe it? They've kept their rooms clean! They even seem to enjoy keeping them clean! No, I know, it won't last but I'm liking it right now!



We took them shopping last night to finish buying their school supplies. I love shopping for school supplies! It's fun to let the kids look for and then choose what is on each of their lists. Choices are limited as we stick to the 2 aisles at Wal-Mart so the kids feel like they get to buy whatever they want, even though I know they have some constraints :)

5 comments:

Amy said...

Wow, I feel like I am so behind on the blogging! I'm sure you can relate now that you are in the "student" mode. Uuugh, welcome to chaos! If anyone can do it Jill, you can! Congrats to you and Pat!

The kids' rooms look wonderful! I wish I had gotten to that task. There's always Christmas Break, right?

Kendal said...

Congrats on enrolling in the masters program. One of these days I'll jump on that back to school train too :0)

Lisa said...

Congrats Jill! I know you can do it!! Of course, I thought about it for ohhh about a millisecond and then decided nahhh! If you need help with quiet study time, let me know and the kids can come over here!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a quick decision about your program! But sometimes those decisions where you just go on your gut turn out to be the best ones.

tRiShA said...

You will ROCK the master's program, chica! It may not seem like it now, but it will be over before you know it!