Saturday, August 30, 2008

School's Back In Session!

Check out this cute third grader! I've given up trying to cut his hair! He has a reputation with all the teacher's because of that mop!


And this year both kids are at school with me! Dylan is in third grade with Mrs. Baker again. He had her as a first grade teacher and was so excited to learn she'd be his third grade teacher also. After three days of school he still thinks recess and dodgeball are the best parts of the day! Although he has talked a lot about music and the long song the new music teacher played. I think he also kind of liked the writing project he completed about his summer vacation.

I was able to take Dylan to his classroom before school. He was seated next to best friend Max so he felt a little more relaxed, though you can't tell it from his eyes!

Yesterday Dylan showed up at my classroom door about an hour before school got out. He was crying and holding his nose. Poor guy had hit his nose on someone else's head! Yes, the blood came and then so did the tears. That ruined his whole day! His nose did swell a bit and Dylan was convinced he had broken it but all is well today!

I think I struggled with Dylan being in third grade more than I struggled with Lyndsi being in kindergarten! Every once in a while I would look around at the eager faces of my new second graders and a pang would hit my heart as I realized that Dylan was no longer among those fresh faces. As you may recall, he was in my class last year. I am happy that Dylan is so excited about school and I'm glad he's becoming more independent but I sure miss spending my days with him.

Yes, Lyndsi is a kindergartener! Can you believe it! I'm sure she felt some nervousness but she never expressed it. It helps that Reily is in her class and that she has been able to spend the mornings with her. They've gotten on the little kindergarten bus together and taken the "long bus ride" to school together. I was able to wait at school and watch the kids get off the bus. They were all so cute! Lyndsi says she saw me through the bus window but didn't even glance my way as she walked from the bus into the building. All those little kiddos look like little duckings following their mama (aka the bus driver)!


What a cutie! She and Reily planned out their outfits the day before. Not the dress I wanted but cute anyway!


Here's the little kindergarten bus - you probably can't see her but Lyndsi is in the window with her hand up. I think the bus driver was saying something to the kids.


I snuck into the class to snap a few pictures. I was trying to stay hidden but was seen, so I spent a couple of minutes with the girls and then went back to my own classroom. Don't worry, my students were at recess so they weren't unattended!


In the kindergarten classroom


My first few days of school were pretty typical. I was exhausted by the end of the first day, the second day was a little more exhausting and by the end of yesterday I was dragging out the door to go home. Somehow I always adjust and am able to make it through the next 9 months - rather successfully I might add!

I think Steve felt the same way about school but he is adding soccer practice to the end of his days. The kids and I went to watch the practice on Tuesday and boy, was I glad I'm not a soccer coach! Steve should be in perfect shape by November! He was working out right along with the girls. I hope his old bones can handle it!

I finished my assignments for my Master's class. They weren't hard but I was trying to do them after the kids went to bed so my brain wasn't functioning! Have you ever tried to write a critical analysis of Washington's RCWs on bilingual education after a full day of corralling 7 year old children? I don't recommend it!


1 comment:

Amy said...

The kids look so cute! I have to agree about Dylan's hair. I can't imagine him without it! I can relate to the giving up your days with your kids (after having them all day, even while you are working....) I've been there!

Have a great week, and thank you so much for our weekend adventure away!