Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Birthday Boys

As you can see from this picture, we had some fun last weekend! Steve and Jeff have birthdays 2 days apart so we've started a new tradition of going to the Wagon Wheel in Malott for a combined birthday dinner. They have a scrumptious steak dinner on Friday nights and usually the small tavern is packed for steak night. There weren't many customers this night so we had a lot of attention from the owner and bartender. Cheers to small towns!


Dylan played in his second basketball game last Saturday and his third today. His darn anxiety issues sure get in the way of him having fun on the court! Last week Dylan told the coach he was too nervous to play right away so the coach didn't put him in until the 4th quarter. Again, Dylan played well and showed a lot of potential for being a star in the game. I shot a few photos but gym lighting is horrible! I deleted the pictures from both the camera and the computer.


We saw a little more of Dylan in today's game. He played off and on for much of the second half. Though his wringing hands tell the audience that he is a bundle of nerves on the court, Dylan tells me that playing is more fun than sitting on the bench. Imagine that! If only he would remember that from week to week!


Today's game was extra special because Nana and Papa showed up to surprise the kids. They didn't want Dylan to know they were coming because they didn't want him to get too anxious so we just kept if from both kids. I love surprising them like that!


We lucked out with their visit because it was also Pinewood Derby day so Dylan got to show off his racing skills today as well as his basketball skills. Fourth place this year so no trip to Districts, but fun all the same. Lyndsi and Steve shared a car so they both got to race, too. No winners there either!

Can you tell who's car is whose? Hee hee!


Amy told me of a movie about Pinewood Derby races where the dads got into the race more than the boys did. I think they may have used our pack as the inspiration for that one! It's so funny to watch how excited the dads get over their own cars.

Because of my dad's allergy to our dog my parents stayed in a hotel. They chose a very nice hotel in Omak called the Peppertree Inn http://www.peppertreeomak.com/. We had a great time using their pool and hot tub and just visiting.


We currently have an uncomfortable little one. Lyndsi's been running a 102-103 temp since yesterday. I was able to get it down to normal for about a half hour today but it shot right back up this afternoon. I'm staying home with her tomorrow so hopefully she'll be able to get back to her normal self. Poor thing - She just lays in our bed alternating between sleep and wanting to sleep.
Check out this cool place! I've lived here for 13 years and didn't know you could walk back in here. Amy wrote about this in her blog so I wanted to go look for myself. I drug the kids and Steve with me when I went. I can't remember the name but it's a sort of bird refuge. The bald eagles perch here for the night. We saw 5 bald eagles but the kids were so noisy that they kept flying away before we could get up close enough to admire their beauty! If you come visit, I'll take you there! Unfortunately, summer brings lots of poison oak. We'll see this spring how it looks!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oh, good to see you made it out to the spot! You know there are a couple geocachese out there too!

I hope Lyndsi is feeling better soon! Get some rest, both of you!