Sunday, December 23, 2007

Merry Christmas!

Christmas cards - what Christmas cards! Do you think December 26th is too late to get my Christmas cards out??? Actually, I have sent several cards but without a letter. Oh, I'm bad! My goal is to get a letter written and all my cards out before New Year's Day. We'll see - wish me luck!

Other than the card dilemma and a few presents to wrap, I think we're ready for Santa to come! Yippeee! This is the first year since Dylan was a week old that we are staying here for the holidays. I miss going to Spokane but it's the perfect year to be here. Our district didn't let out for our break until Friday at 3 and we go back on the 2nd. I know, I know..... many of you have to work this week and don't get any time off - but I always considered this kind of my Christmas bonus (we don't get one) and I want the time off during the holidays. Heck, we don't get paid for the days off anyway so why not give us a few extra days!

The kids are thrilled to have Christmas in their own home this year. Nana and Papa and Robyn and Erin and Grandma and Rod and Grandma Margaret and Barb and Kim and Kellee and mybe Kim will all be here. What more could a kid want! We're expecting everyone to arrive some time today.

Dylan turned 8 last week! I don't know about you but I have a little trouble believing that I am the mother of an 8 year old. Mothers of 8 year olds are experienced and always know what to do in any situation....hmmm...not me! I think I must do all right because Dylan is a pretty good kid!

Eight year old antics! Great picture, Steve!

Dylan decided that he really wanted to have his birthday party at the bowling alley this year. Thank heavens because we decided to invite the whole class! Yep, all 23 of them! Only 20 kids showed up, though, so it was OK hee, hee! As I am Dylan's teacher I just didn't see how I could only invite a few kids from the class without any hurt feelings. The afternoon was a success and the kids had a blast! It was fun to interact with my students on a more relaxed level and Dylan was treated royally.

Dylan and the coveted bowling pin! All the party guests sign the pin. I think every kid in town has one (or 10) of these by the time they are 10!

Because I am a glutton for stress and no sleep we also held our 3rd annual cookie and beer exchange on the same day. So, at 7:00 that evening, hundred of dozens of cookies (well, maybe only 50 dozen :)) came through our door, along with about 40 people. Yes, I was working right up to the last minute, along with the help of a couple of early arriving guests (they thought it started at 6 - thank the lord!) but I enjoyed my evening more than I have the last couple of years. I created a new coffee nudge drink that I drank all night and I just packed up the goody buckets of cookies as people left so I was able to be in the midst of the celebrating rather than tucked away in the back room.

Those of you who have been following the blog might be thinking - "HM, why would Jill have a cookie and beer exchange when she can't eat either one?". As you may or may not know, beer contains lots of gluten due to the barley malt it's made with. And cookies - forget it! Well, my good friend Amy did some research and adapted her cookie recipe so that it was gluten free! Not an easy feat I might add! So now I have about 24 cookies that are all mine! Yippee! I stuck them in the refrigerator downstairs so that no one would eat them and I am bringing them out a couple at a time when I need a little sweet!

On Friday night, The Littlest Christmas Tree was performed by all the little tykes from The Children's House Montessori Preschool. Oh - they are so sweet! Marla, the music teacher, is fabulous and loves the kids and her job. What a great way to begin our break.

I was hoping to update my slideshow and maybe add a Christmas tune to it but

Isn't Lyndsi so sweet as part of Julie's Family! She really did look pretty, though this is not the best picture!

didn't get that far. That will be my goal this week - after the cards are done of course! So be checking in occasionally. I also want to add Kendal's blog and The Gluten Free Girl blog to my favorite bloggers.

May you all be merry and bright and enjoy your families during this festive week!

2 comments:

Kendal said...

What a great party it was too, glad I could help. Have a great Christmas!

Amy said...

Just sitting here, thinking I need to get to bed so that Santa can come. I've got a 12 year old that doesn't think she can fall asleep either, LOL! Glad you liked your cookies. We've been snacking on the last of ours tonight.

Have a Merry Christmas! Enjoy family time!