Saturday, December 29, 2007

Post Christmas....aaaahs....

Our pile of gifts under the tree!



Snow blankets the whole county right now - I love the whiteness and the huge snow drifts! This is our house from the "desert" behind us.


Well, Christmas cards aren't done yet but I'm getting there! Only about 50 to go -hee hee! I've really been taking advantage of having a few days off and playing hard! We' ve been skiing and sledding and shopping and spa-ing and movie-ing and... hmm - just playing! All the decorations are still up and the tree still looks pretty and the gifts are all still under the tree - opened of course!


The celebrating started on the 23rd and just didn't seem to stop! Linda and Margaret arrived on Sunday as did my parents and Erin. They all came over for dinner to celebrate Dylan and my dad's birthdays. I made enchiladas from scratch -not bad! I even had to make my enchilada sauce for the beef enchiladas and my Cream of Chicken soup for the chicken enchiladas as I can't eat the convenient canned variety. Not too difficult, though! I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it all was.



Our Desert Snowman - sage brush body and snowball eyes!


We had the same group for dinner on Christmas Eve, but added Robyn and Rod who both arrived that day, and Barb, Dale, Kim and Kellee. What fun! It wasn't our typical Laycock Christmas and we missed the rest of the clan but it was still very exciting.

Then the big day finally arrived! Santa arrived, ate the cookies and left a mess and lots of presents. Every kid's dream! We spent the day opening gifts, eating, sledding and playing games. We had another nice dinner again that evening. All in all a very relaxing and pleasant few days with all our loved ones here in Okanogan with us.

Look! Dylan is cuddling with me! A rare occurance these days! Christmas morning pictures of me are never very good but I think this is a cute one.


Mom and dad on the sledding hill. Great picture!

Robyn took this fabulous picture of Dylan coming down the hill.

Cocoa!

Everyone had gone home by the 27th and we found ourselves not wanting to get back to our daily routine quite so soon so we hit the South Summit and took in an afternoon of cross country skiing. I have to tell you that I haven't been on skis in over 20 years! I think I did pretty well! I did, however, avoid the hills as much as I could. I'm just not quite ready to face that fear! Lyndsi was also a trooper! It was her first experience on the skis. She did spend some time on her back but managed to get right back up again. The South summit is a beautiful location for skiing and for summer hiking. I can't wait to get back up there!



Kids on skis! Look at the pink cheeks :)

The kids have been bugging me to bake some cookies so they could try out their new baking sets that they received for Christmas - I, on the other hand, couldn't think of anything I wanted to do less! I broke down today, though, and baked 2 batches of cookies. Dylan took his job very seriously and created a beautiful bunch of thumbprint cookies! Lyndsi is still chilling her sugar cookie dough but she sure enjoyed eating her dough!

Taster Lyndsi and...

Chef Dylan!

I'm not sure what's up for the new year as our good friend, Dennis, broke his shoulder on the ski hill Thursday. He and his wife are usually our New Year's Eve hosts and fabulous chefs. Though Dennis is convinced that he can still create a nice meal for us all, we think he should take it easy for a few more days. We'll see who wins this battle!

Happy New Year to you all!

2 comments:

Kendal said...

Looks like you had a great Okanogan Christmas. We hit up sledding today, but now that I've heard about Dennis, it makes me all the more nervous about trying skiing. Maybe Lyndsi can give me a pep talk ;0)

Amy said...

It looks like everyone had a great visit! The kids look so cute in their cooking gear. Ummmm.. cookies~!

I have got to check out your sledding hill now. I keep hearing more!