Sunday, November 16, 2008

Is There a Full Moon?

Let me tell you about my evening. I know it's late but I feel the need to share what can happen in a matter of about 30 minutes.

Soo...Steve is off playing poker with a few guys from work. They do this once in a while, which usually means the host's family is banished for the evening. This time Jeff invited a couple of guys over so Amy, Max and Zoe decided to take in a movie. Being the good friends we are, the kids and I tagged along! We scarfed our popcorn as we enjoyed Madagascar 2. Not my top choice but appropriate and fun for the kids in the group.

Amy picked up Kendal to come along so we stopped by her house on the way home to meet her new puppy. The kids played with Hopper while the adults checked out the house, which is also new to Shawn and Kendal.

At about 9:00ish, we left. So did Kendal, who was going back to Amy's where Shawn was also playing poker. Now, mind you, Shawn and Kendal are the only human inhabitants of their home so when Amy left with Kendal, no one else was home. They pulled out of the driveway before we did. And yep, you probably guessed by now that I couldn't find my keys. My keys were not in my purse, nor in my pocket, nor in the ignition, nor on the ground, nor anywhere I looked. So, the kids and I were stranded in a driveway on a dark abandoned street on the edge of the city of Omak - lots of fields, not many houses. Mind you, I am not a brave soul and my kids have inherited their love of the scary darkness from me. As my cell phone was back home on the kitchen counter, I thought of no other solution except to walk 2 blocks to the hospital to use their phone. So that's what we did. I had a kid on each hand, both in tears, one in shorts and one with wet pants. I pretended it was no big deal but I kept glancing off into the dark fields watching for those monsters I knew were out there.

Fortunately, Amy and Kendal were back at Amy's so they came back and I found my keys inside Kendal's house, right where I'd left them!

By now, both kids are exhausted from their fears and ready for bed but not liking coming home to a dark house. I was still trying to play the brave mom, thinking of all the fun things I could. We pull into the driveway and the first thing we notice is the glow from the flames on the burn pile that was supposed to be out. Dylan has a fear of the house catching on fire so he started immediately wanting to call the fire department as Lyndsi starts in on her fatigued hysteria. Dylan was on the phone to Steve before I even made it into the house! When Dylan started out to wake the neighbors I eased his fears by saying I'd go take care of the fire. I have to admit, I hoped the flames were within the confines of the burn area but they had me a bit worried. I'm not fond of burning in the middle of dead brush, no matter how wet it's been.

For the second time that night, I found myself trudging through the dark. The burn pile is at the edge of our yard in the empty lot next door. Just beyond our backyard is a whole lot of emptiness that we lovingly call, "the desert". At night, it's a bit scary! I could hear the kids crying from inside the house. I dumped a bucket of water on the pile of burning leaves and walked back to the house.

In the meantime, Dylan had called Steve again. Being the good father he is, he said he'd come home to check it out. I don't know why my kids don't trust me in the eyes of danger!

Steve assured the kids that all was well as I tried to brush Lyndsi's teeth. Keep in mind that it's late and I just want the kids in bed so I can relax! Those of you who have seen Lyndsi in the past 6 weeks know that she has had several very loose teeth. I swear, she's going to keep them until they disintegrate! Well lo and behold, I must have brushed a little hard because I brushed one of those teeth right out of her mouth! Yee haw! She lost her first tooth!

So now we had to have the whole, "How does the tooth fairy get in?" discussion and I had to ease some fears once again! Steve had already returned to his poker game so I was on my own. Fortunately, these fears were short lived and both kids fell asleep quickly.

Just as I thought I might head downstairs and turn on the computer to check email I noticed a small, white animal peeking out from behind the ottoman. I was debating about whether to pick it up and put it in one of the kids' bedrooms when, suddenly, it ran across the floor to me! It took a second to register that the stuffed animal I was looking at was really French Fry, our white gerbil! This wasn't necessarily a scary ordeal to me but I sort of felt like falling to the floor in a fit of tears! French Fry doesn't go back to his cage easily and it usually takes to of us to trap him in a corner. By now I was completely exhausted myself!

I walked toward the gerbil and tried a couple of tricks, none of which worked. However, in this little adventure, I noticed that French Fry seemed to be following me. When I walked to his cage, he did too. When I walked back to the living room, he did too. When I stayed in a room, he did too. I even tested my theory by walking around the table and into the kitchen and then out the other door to the living room. I looked behind me and guess who was there? It was pretty fun! French Fry would run right up to me but wouldn't let me pick him up. So I walked back to the cage, sat down by it and waited. French Fry came with me, poked around his cage a bit, then walked into the door I had opened for him. Easy! Too bad I didn't learn that trick 2 years ago!

As I said early on, this may sound ho hum to some of you readers but it was far from ho hum for me. Several odd things happened tonight. I'm sure the moon must be full.

I'd share pictures of Lyndsi's cute smile but I'm too tired. Those pictures will just have to wait!

3 comments:

Kendal said...

Oh my! When you type it all out it sounds like quite the crazy evening. We still feel horrible! I've instituted the new rule of not leaving one's own house until everyone else is gone.

Lisa said...

oh how scary on all parts! You could have come and gotten us to help you with the fire! :)

hugs! Have fun @ Sun Mt. Lodge

Amy said...

Oh Wow Jill! I hadn't heard the whole story, and of course Steve's side of the "fire story" is different than a Mom's view (I'm with you, by the way). French Fry, little stinker. What a smart little cookie!

You deserve a break! Hope you are all relaxing this weekend and enjoying yourself! Wish we could join you!