Saturday, November 3, 2007

Halloween

Dylan - as the Great Pumpkin
Lyndsi - as a Fairy Princess Cheerleader (she thought of it all by herself!)

Another Halloween come and gone. Truth be told, despite my grumblings of busy nights and not enough time just being at home, I really do like Halloween. You really couldn't ask for a simpler holiday! Dress silly and go door to door collecting candy. Who am I to complain???
Anyway, both kids partied at school. Lyndsi's class went to two different nursing homes to sing Halloween carols. Dylan's (and mine!) class had an afternoon party complete with games, sugar and more sugar! The school day was hit with everyone. After a very quick dinner, all 4 of us went out trick-or-treating. We managed to hook up with a couple other kids - Reily, Max and Karina - and we went down to 4th street (our old neighborhood). Normally the street looks like a movie set on Halloween. Hundreds of kids mob the couple of blocks! This year seemed pretty slow. I think Wednesday night Halloween kept a lot of kids at home. We now have two buckets of candy .. mmmm...
Steve's soccer team is still going strong! They finished another game this evening though I don't know the results as Steve hasn't made it home yet. They play again on Wednesday and then possibly (if they win) on Saturday. These games are considered the pre-games for the State tournament.
Lyndsi will be 5 in two weeks - ack! - I can't believe it! She'll be getting her kindergarten shots next month. It doesn't seem right! This time of year always gets us talking about the kids as babies. They both love to hear stories about "me as a baby" in their words!
I am off to my 4th annual scrapbook retreat next weekend! Our former scrapbook store owner puts on this annual event at Sun Mountain Lodge each November. My parents gave me the weekend away as my birthday present this year. They are even coming over to take care of the kids while Steve is away at his soccer game. The scrapbook weekend is completely and totally relaxing and I look forward to it every year. Sun Mountain is a beautiful part of the Methow Valley and the lodge is pampering and comforting! Thanks mom and dad!
I got a call Thursday night that I have been waiting for for several months. I had been dealing with some stomach issues and finally went to the doctor in September. After blood work and an upper endoscopy, I now have a diagnosis! I have celiac disease which means my body doesn't tolerate gluten. In fact gluten wreaks havoc on me! The disease can affect your joints, skin, digestive system, hair, neurological functioning, you name it! Long term it can cause lymphoma of the intestines and other fun things! However, the good news is, it is completely curable!! If...I stay completely away from gluten. Did you know that gluten is found in - well - everything! So, if anyone reading this has any helpful hints I'd love to hear them! Right now I am feeling a sense of relief that I have an answer to all of my problems, problems that I have always blamed on arthritis, hormones, motherhood, whatever. However, when I feel the pangs of hunger and realize I don't have anything snacky that is gluten-free, I do feel twinges of panic.
Steve just arrive home and his girls lost in overtime. Sad for them - No more soccer, yippee!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jill, I have a couple of kids in my program that are on glutten(SP) free diets. In fact you might be abe to find info in autism books and web sites. I'll see what I can find out for you. love Denise