Monday, July 14, 2008

My Own Little Reality Show

So, I stopped for lunch today at a little luncheon cafe in town and spoke with the cashier. She is a graduate of Okanogan so I know her and her family. What a surprise when she said, "It sounds like you had a great time on your trip!" Now, I figured she had talked to Steve and he told her all about it. I couldn't figure out when Steve had seen her but I didn't dwell on that. Then, lo and behold, she told me she read my blog! Wow! I knew there were readers out there but so many of you are so quiet about it! I know my writing isn't author quality but I sure enjoy sharing my life with everyone. Somehow it makes my life seem better when I hit on all the highlights every few days. Don't get me wrong. I DO have a good life and I AM happy. But we all know life gets us down occasionally and it's so easy to look at other people and wish for their lives. Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that this blog has turned into my way of helping me to remember my life's blessings. All this philosophical thinking just because I talked to a former student! Thanks, Ashley and thanks to those of you who have left comments or emailed or spoken to me in person about my blog!

I started today with a 6 mile bike ride in the hills nearby. A few friends from work were going out and they invited me along. Since I haven't ridden a bike in many, many years, I was a bit apprehensive but I had a blast! I worked hard and I felt like my heart and lungs were about to burst out of my chest but I didn't have any pain on my knees! That rarely happens when I exert myself physically! THEN - I joined one of those same ladies for water aerobics at the city pool this evening. More fun! I've been looking for a water aerobics class since I moved here! I discovered that it is possible to sweat in the water!

So back to Road Trip '08 - Chicago was exciting but it was time to move on to a different leg of our jouney. On June 27th we left the big city for a somewhat smaller city in Indiana. Amber was getting married in South Bend, home of Notre Dame. I'm embarassed to say that we spent the whole weekend in South Bend and didn't get to the Notre Dame campus!

Anyway, our family was invited to the rehearsal dinner so we checked into the hotel and, after the kids and Steve swam and I went to the rehearsal, we headed out to Tippecanoe Place. This was a beautiful old house that has been made into an elegant restaurant. The home is on the National Registry of Historic Places and it was originally owned by a member of the Studebaker family. This leg of the family was into acquiring electric companies and were cousins of the car Studebakers.

Dinner was yummy and it was fun to get our first glimpses of Amber's new life and new family and to also reunite with Amber, her folks and Ivy, Amber's friend from Spokane. It was also fun catching fireflies again!

Then, on Saturday, it was my turn to swim with the kids while Steve searched out a laundromat. What a good man! It was also wedding day! The kids and I handed out programs and bubbles and then I helped with the timing of the bridal party walk down the aisle. The most stressful part of the ceremony was when I got up to do a reading - there was no podium to hide behind! But the wedding wasn't about me, it was all about Amber and Jason and their happiness so I was pleased to oblige.

The ceremony was lovely and the reception was fun and I liked participating in the beginning of Amber's life with Jason. The kids were so proud of their jobs and were so intrigued by the rituals of a wedding. They couldn't wait to start dancing and would have stayed on the dance floor all night had Steve not taken them off to bed!

Tippecanoe Place - South Bend, IN

Jason and Amber Elledge amidst the bubbles!

Lyndsi and Dylan watching the first dance. They were sitting on the edge of the dance floor.

1 comment:

Amy said...

More great vacation photos Jill. I remember Wall Drug and Mount Rushmore just like you described them. Hey, next time you go riding bikes let me know. I have new gear shifters and I'm ready to ride!