Saturday, July 5, 2008

We're Back in the State...

but not quite home. 4000 miles, 200 pictures, 14 days and it really doesn't matter how many dollars because it was really quite priceless! We are in Spokane tonight and tomorrow night so we can Costco shop and regroup. My parents are having a bar-b-que tomorrow so we'll get to see a couple of old friends as well as Steve's mom and Rod. We are anxious to finally be home but also enjoying being with my parents for a couple of days.

I have included some pictures this time. Finally! Bear with me, though, because I'm too tired to do this all at once so I'll chronologically add a few pics at a time and hopefully giving you the nutshell version of Streeter Road Trip 2008.
These pictures were taken on the second day of our trip. We stopped for a picnic lunch in Glendive, MT at Makoshika State Park. Our little lunch stop turned into a short hike - we had no idea that Glendive was famous for anything other than sturgeon! It turns out that the park is a state park because of the dinosaur fossils that have been discovered in the area. The trail we took led us to a Hadrosaur vertebrae impression. It must have been a giant dino because its vertebrae was huge!
I think Dylan was probably more excited about the little lizards that were running around! He almost caught several but they were so fast and so small that they kept slipping away. If I'd let him stick his hands into the dry brush to grab the little guys he might have actually had one but I was too concerned about rattlesnakes to let him do that! Anyway, the hike through the desert sparked our interest and we were anxious to get this trip on the road.
The vertebrae! This impression was about 6 feet long and 3 feet tall.
Dylan and Steve hiked up the hill a little further while Lyndsi and I started back down. This is a shot of Dylan on his way up.
I don't know what it is about bugs but I sure like to get them with my camera! This little guy was all of about 2 mm long and he was carrying this dead blossom that was twice his size. Quite a trophy for such a bug!
I couldn't resist this pretty cactus flower. We see a lot of cactus up our way but I don't get to see the flowers very often. Yes, I think the picture is upside down but you get the idea!

No comments: