Tuesday, July 15, 2008

On To More Excitement

We now leave South Bend (In case you didn't pick up on this, I'm talking about Road Trip '08!) and head towards Yellowstone. We stayed in Wisconsin the night we left IN and then drove to the Badlands of South Dakota the next day. What great views and beautiful geology! We drove through the park and took several short hikes, including a fossil hike where several fossils were displayed alongside the boardwalk. I remember being HOT on this day!

On the road again and a much needed break at Wall Drug - of course! What a crazy place. Every souvenir you could ever want! Couldn't resist the picture of the kids and Steve with one of the locals!

Our final destination for the day was a stop at Mount Rushmore. Very cool! I know, that statement is not very forceful but "Awesome" sounds so 80's ish! Anyway, I enjoyed Mount Rushmore. I was a bit disappointed that we couldn't get closer to the face of the mountain but the trails were very accessible and informational.
I think the most fun part of this trip was watching the kids and sharing their excitement in all the new and historical sites. I hope they continue with this curiosity. Everything we do is an adventure because of their excitement!

2 comments:

Kendal said...

Isn't Wall a ton of fun! I really want to go back and take some more time to do some hikes in the Badlands. It was just a quick drive through when I went last time.

Lisa said...

I'm enjoying your road trip! Can't wait to hear the rest!