Friday, February 20, 2009

The Princess and the Pea

It's Dust Bunny time! Lyndsi has been rehearsing all week and has her dress rehearsal tomorrow. Immediately following the dress rehearsal is the first performance. I think I'm more excited than she is! I haven't even seen her costume yet. All I know is that she needs to wear a low ponytail and dark, soft soled shoes.


Poor little thing, though very happy, is very exhausted! Good thing this is only one week long! She was asleep by 7:30 tonight! Last night, Steve, Dylan and I and Max drove to Wenatchee for a different kids' play. Lyndsi had to stay here for rehearsal so she stayed with Reily for the night. Apparently she was up at 2:00 am, crying to come home. She did finally fall asleep on her own but woke up earlier than normal this morning - yep, she's wiped!


Performances are at 3 and at 7 tomorrow for those of you who live in town - I'm thinking we are heading for ice cream after the 7:00 show - to celebrate Lyndsi's theater debut and Dylan's final basketball game. Join us if you want!


Some Sad News


My Grandma, Gladys Schumacher, passed away on Tuesday afternoon. I'm not sure of her exact age but I do know she was in her late 90's and would have been one year older on March 5th. Grandma has not been truly happy since my Grandpa died in 2000 and I feel a strange sense of joy at her passing. That joy comes from the knowledge that she is with Grandpa again. I guess I have a faith in our afterlives that I don't want to question.

I don't want to give the wrong impression by my use of the word joy. Of course I am mourning my loss and my father's loss and my family's loss. Memories keep invading my days and I do find myself teary-eyed on occasion. I had the best grandparents a child could ever ask for. Along with my memories, I also have several treasures which have become more special this week and many of them are decorating my home and have influenced my classroom style. So, my memories are triggered constantly.

However, along with those memories comes a strong image of a younger Grandma and Grandpa reuniting after a long separation. My Grandpa is smiling with arms open wide, and my Grandma is crying (she did that a lot!) tears of joy. In the background are relatives who have passed before.


I'll be flying to South St. Paul to attend Grandma's service next week.


June 2008

No comments: