Thursday, February 26, 2009

It's Cold!

And we have a car with horrible traction tires - or I really should say no-traction tires! Let me preface with I am in Inver Grove Heights, MN looking out at the blowing winter storm that pounded us today. From the time we entered the funeral home for my grandmother's visitation and service to the time we left to go to the burial site it snowed about 2-3 inches. There was nothing on the ground before that! It was unreal! Our rental car is a horrible, horrible car for snow driving and I don't know why they rent these cars in February in Minnesota. Robyn and I rented it from the airport last night and the poor girl at the counter kept trying to get us to upgrade to a better car because of the storm coming in. We thought she just wanted our money!

We got stuck twice on the way to the cemetery and finally had to driven in. Then we spent about 20 minutes trying to get through a stoplight as people drove by us honking and swearing. Robyn and I took turns pushing and driving. I think we went about a foot every 3 minutes or so! It was a great experience!! Robyn finally got so fed up with rude people that she put our funeral processional flag back on top of the car - guess what? People started trying to help! Two little teenage girls got out and helped Robyn push while I tried to get the car rolling. Then 2 young men asked if we wanted them to try to pull us. THEN my cousin came back to see what happened to us and between he, his son, Robyn and the 2 young men I finally got through the light and up the hill. However, there was another stop and we started all over again. We were soaked and cold! But laughing......

The snow driving would have terrified Grandma but she would have enjoyed telling the story afterward. I had an amazing storytelling grandma and I realized today that she didn't limit her audiences to her grandchildren. Every person at her memorial reminisced about Grandmas stories and her treasures. I wish I could share all their stories here. I also wished I had brought my children. I know they would have remembered the stories that I may not. My grandma was a kind, compassionate, passionate and friendly woman who found fun in everything she did. She hula danced in Hawaii and played basketball in her 60's. She knew all the names of her old students as well as all the names of the plants and the birds she came across. She was the last charter member of the South St. Paul PEO group and was faithful to the Dakota County Historical Society (we made many trips to the museum when we visited!). And my grandma was the best grandma a kid could have. Her love of nature and of learning made every excursion and event a time to remember. I miss my grandma but know her influences abound here in Minnesota as well as in my own home, through me.

I fly to Seattle tomorrow and then to Wenatchee on Saturday.

By the way....

Lyndsi was a darling Dust Bunny and Dylan won his last basketball game! Woo hoo!

My dad is still exhausted and starting to feel down though he puts on a good show. Pray that this next method of cancer fighting helps him find relief from his worries and his fatigue.

No comments: